What is Refugee Family Reunion?
The Refugee Family Reunion policy allows the immediate family members to join individuals who have been granted refugee status in the UK. The Refugee Family Reunion route has been designed to address the consequences of conflict and persecution by reuniting families who have been torn apart.
Can my family members join me in the UK under the Family Reunion Scheme?
If you meet the following requirements then your family members may be eligible to join you in the UK as part of the family reunion scheme.
- As a refugee or an individual with humanitarian protection in the UK, do you have a partner or children who you left behind when you left your country who you wish to bring to the UK?
- Did your relationship with your partner and/or children exist before you left your country and claimed asylum in the UK?
- Is your partner who you wish to bring to the UK either your spouse, civil partner, or someone you have been cohabiting with (as part of a relationship) for at least 2 years?
- Are your children aged under 18 years old, not living an independent life, and intend to live with you in the UK?
- Extended family members (e.g. parents) may be able to make an application to join you in the UK as part of the Family Reunion, however, applications will be made outside of the immigration rules, and so, will be more complex to make.
Why work with Paragon Law?
Making a Family Reunion application can be a complex process as issues can arise from collecting the evidence required to link refugee sponsors to their family members outside of the UK. Refugees entering the UK often do not have the documentation required to make immigration applications, however, our expert immigration lawyers are able to overcome these issues in the application process by creating and submitting a strong case.
Why choose Paragon Law?
- Well-regarded. Both our personal and family immigration lawyers, and our asylum solicitors and lawyers have received national acclaim for their work.
- Specialist. We focus entirely on immigration law and UK visas. Our lawyers specialise in one of our three core services, enabling them to become a true expert in what they do.
- Supportive. Matters of asylum and personal immigration are often emotive which is why our legal team will always act in a sympathetic manner and go above and beyond with your case.
- Connected. Our immigration lawyers have close ties to barristers, industry experts, and other organisations who, if needed, can be drawn upon to make your case stronger.
This immigration law powerhouse is best known for handling complex and high-profile cases. The lawyers are admired for their hard work and dedication to clients. They push and push and never take no for an answer.
Chambers & Partners
Meet Emma Okenyi
Meet Maaria Mahmood
Meet Elliott Dipper
My family arrived safely. It was very emotional to see my mother after about 10 years and little brother for the first time! I have no words to describe this feeling right now. I just want to thank Paragon Law for helping me to reunite with my lovely family.
Refugee Family Reunion Fees
Refugee Family Reunion: FAQs
How long does a UK family reunion application take to process?
Once you apply for a Family Reunion application you will usually receive a decision within 12 weeks. To read more about updates to UK visa processing time please head over to the official guidance.
How long can I stay in the UK under the family reunion route?
If you join a relative in the UK under the Family Reunion route, then you will be granted the same amount of leave as your sponsor - so if your sponsor has 3 years left in the UK then so will you, but if your sponsor has indefinite leave to remain in the UK then you will also be granted with indefinite leave to remain. It is the expectation that individuals who join relatives in the UK under this route will go on to settle permanently in the UK.
Who is eligible to apply for the UK family reunion scheme?
Partners and children of recognised refugees or individuals with humanitarian protection in the UK are eligible to make a family reunion application. Partners must have been in a relationship with the person they wish to join in the UK before their partner left their country. Under exceptional circumstances other family members may be eligible to make a family reunion application outside of the immigration rules.
How much does a UK family reunion application cost?
It is free to make a family reunion application. However, extended relatives making a family reunion application outside of the immigration rules will have to pay an application fee of £388.
Claiming asylum in the UK
Family Reunion Clinic
Adult Dependent Relative Visa