Karen Halliwell is a qualified immigration solicitor and Law Society accredited supervising senior caseworker. Karen graduated from The University of Hull in 2004 having achieved a Law degree (with French Honours) and studied abroad at the Universite d’Orleans in the Loire Valley in France. She went on to study at the College of Law and completed her LPC in 2005.
After working as a senior caseworker at Paragon Law since 2007, Karen Halliwell has over 15 years' experience in Immigration Law. Karen had a brief stint at another local law firm from 2011 before returning to Paragon Law in 2013 and has worked in our dedicated deportation department since then, qualifying as a solicitor in 2017.
Specialising in all elements of deportation and detention related issues. Karen Halliwell regularly advises on highly complex cases and her expertise is recognised by excellent working relationships with solicitors in the criminal field, as well as the Probation Service.
Areas of work
As an immigration lawyer, Karen Halliwell is able to do the following:
- Advise foreign national prisoners and their families on deportation related issues, including the preparation and submission of representations in response to one stop notices, decisions to deport and the making of human rights claims.
- Prepare appeals in the First Tier and Upper Tribunal.
- Provide assistance with preparation and submission of bail applications, electronic monitoring issues and amendments to bail conditions.
- Advise and prepare applications on behalf of detainees to the High Court and Upper Tribunal in respect of unlawful detention, including claims for damages and compensation where unlawful detention is established.
- Create applications to revoke deportation orders.
- Support individuals with administrative removal and re-entry bans.
- Assist with injunctions and interim relief against forced removals.
- Create judicial review applications relating to all aspects of immigration law.
- Advise on and prepare representations against the revocation of refugee status.
- Support with restricted leave applications.
- Advise and assist applicants on claims for protection status for both adult and Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children.
- Provide guidance in relation to settlement protection applications.
- Assist with applications for regularisation and extensions of leave in all aspects of immigration applications, including partner, child and family reunion applications.
- Support with naturalisation and deprivation of naturalisation, including appeals of decisions to deprive.
Why speak with Karen Halliwell
Karen Halliwell is able to ensure that complex legal issues are clearly explained. She will support and advise from beginning to end. Karen has substantial experience in assisting clients from all different backgrounds, with a variety of legal problems, and is skilled in all areas of Immigration Law. She is able to use her many years of legal practice to recognise and pre-empt any potential issues, ensuring that cases are safely navigated through to a successful conclusion.
Karen Halliwell has a very high success rate in what can be a highly complex and litigious area of law, and prides herself in a supportive working relationship with her clients that lasts beyond the conclusion of their case.
This is an immigration law powerhouse, best known for handling complex and high-profile cases. The lawyers are admired for their hard work and dedication to clients. They push and push and never take no for an answer.
Chambers & Partners